Verified Reviewer

KIA Motors

Consumer Complaint Division

Dear Complaint Board - Kia Motors

Re: account number [protected]

On March 3rd, 2020, I leased, a 2019 Kia Niro EV VIN KNDCE3LG7K503**** at Jim Bone Kia in Santa Rosa, California.

Unfortunately, your customer service department, and your Kia Motors Finance, Title Department, and your Kia Motors Finance Care Department and your Hyundai Lease Titling Trust, and Kia Motors Company have not provided adequate service because I leased the vehicle in California in early March 2020, due to a death in the family my husband and I had to relocate to Massachusetts. We contacted Kia Motors Finance and changed our address, and as per the Registry of Motor Vehicles in Massachusetts - we requested of your company 1.) a letter stating a limited power of attorney so that we could register the vehicle - transfer from state to state 2.) A title with "for registration purposes only" written at the top as per RMV Massachusetts.

Your customer service representative told us in December 2020 that the letter and documents we requested would be sent out to us. They were not. I contacted customer service again and this time I was told that I needed to send all of my registration documents to Hyundai Lease Titling Trust, and that they would send out my documents (copy of the current registration, copy of my Massachusetts driver's license, stamped application for registration and title stamped by our insurance company and two checks one for registration and the other for title fee - along with the documents that I requested, directly to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, Title Department, in Boston, Massachusetts. I sent out my documents which were received in their office in December of 2020. I called in early January and was told that they were sent to RMV.

I contacted RMV several times over several weeks and they had no record of my application for registration or record of the vehicle. I contacted your customer service department many times and finally one representative told me that the paperwork had not gone out, this was in February 2021. I was told that the customer service representative would expedite the mailing of the papers to RMV. I was told to wait for 5 to 10 business days and try again with RMV. I did and again RMV had no record of my vehicle identification number or application. I called again in February your customer service department and was told that an attempt to send out the paperwork happened on the 12th of February but the paperwork had not been sent out until the 17th, and that I should be patient and wait a few days and then contact RMV. My California registration for the vehicle expired on March 8th, 2021. I called RMV and emailed them and was told that due to Covid-19 and just in general they don't recommend sending anything to the address listed on their website, that they are inundated and there is no one to accept the paperwork or process it. I contacted your customer service department again, and told them what RMV told me I needed to have and requested that the documents be sent to me. I was told that they would be expedited to me, and to be patient and wait a few days for them to respond to the request. I called several days later and spoke with another customer service representative who told me that any request for a letter of power of attorney would be denied and that I needed to resend all of my documents and checks to the same Hyundai Lease Titling Trust in Georgia and that they would send my paperwork with their documents directly to RMV. I again stated what RMV told me - registrations are being *** in person only. I said that it won't be processed.

At this point I called Jim Bone Kia in Santa Rosa and spoke with finance manager Donna Tella who said you should always call us when you have a problem. We'll straighten this out, and she proceeded to contact Kia Customer service and put me on the phone at the same time, we spoke with Haley who assured me that she would have the power of attorney letter sent out to me and a copy of the title. When this never happened, I sent out certified letters to Kia Motors-Complaint Department, Kia Motors FInance and Hyundai Lease Titling Trust and a copy of that letter to Jim Bone Kia finance manager Donna Tella. I received the green postcard indicating that my letters were received BUT NO ONE RESPONDED OR CALLED ME OR TOOK ACTION TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE. I looked again at Kia website and saw the outline webpage for what to do when you move out of state and have to register your vehicle. SEE ENCLOSED, it clearly stated that every state's DMV requirements are different, and that some require a letter of power of attorney and an original title which is what Massachusetts required, and to send in a request to Kia Motor Finance in Plano, Texas. I did that a month ago. NO RESPONSE AT ALL. I called again Kia's customer service, this time I spoke with a supervisor who put me in touch with the Customer Assistance Team and spoke with Anais Magee who looked up my records and told me that she was sorry that I have been given no support and said that my issue is now being handled with the Care Department. She also told me that our paperwork was being sent to our insurance company in upstate New York. She then requested that the Care Department send it to us, the customer, instead of the insurance company who would only send it in to RMV which would not get any attention as per RMV. I am disappointed because I sent by fax a letter of complaint to the Customer CARE Department, and contrary to what Anais told me, no one has reached out to me to resolve this issue. I am also disappointed because my husband and I have faithfully paid this lease on time or early and have not been able to drive this car legally since December since in Massachusetts there is no grace period for when you move to the state. Your car needs to be registered right away or face a penalty of a fine of $500-**** and jail time up to one month. Our whole reason for choosing this long range electric vehicle was so that we could drive to take care of family that needed us. We have been unable to do so.

To resolve the problem, I would appreciate your refunding us in full the amount that we paid for the lease, and ending early our lease agreement without penalty.

Enclosed are copies of my lease agreement, copy of our receipt for our deposit, my registration in California, copies of letters sent to the various departments as per your website.

I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem and will wait until June 30th before seeking help from an attorney Please contact me at the above address or by phone at [protected].

Sincerely,

Jaye Alison Moscariello

User's recommendation: Do not lease from Kia Motors Finance if you ever think you will have to move or will need any customer service.

Product or Service Mentioned: Kia Motors Finance Leasing.

Monetary Loss: $2000.

Kia Motors Finance Cons: Customer service consistently not helpful, Not truthful.

Comments

#2029823

Hi Jaye. Have you had anything back from Kia? I have been dealing with the same issue, having leased in California and moved to Texas 3 months ago, and would really prefer not to deal with this for the next 6 months!

Kia Motors Finance Reviews